Job title: Cook
Job description: Job Role
The charity arm of Seetec, your Ambition, has been appointed to manage a new independent approved premises (IAP) in Bristol, Eden House, for women returning to the community after serving time in prison or given a residential requirement as part of a community sentence. The facility will become a designated Approved Premises (AP) for up to 26 women, supported by a specially trained all-women workforce.
The charity has contracted Interventions Alliance, Seetec’s justice and social care business unit to manage the day-to-day operations of Eden House.
Eden House will provide intensive, holistic residential support for women on post release licence, easing their path from prison back into their communities. The premises will also offer beds to a small number of women on temporary release from prison (ROTL), bail assessment and community orders. Residents are supported by a multi-disciplinary team that is trained in dealing with trauma and can meet the specific needs of women who have entered the criminal justice system.
Residents will usually but not exclusively present a high or very high risk of serious harm. Eden House will play a key role in monitoring and managing risk posed by the women, to safeguard victims and protect the public. The support of key workers and a programme of purposeful activity is intended to enable the residents to overcome barriers, address needs linked to their offending behaviour and reintegrate into society. The aim is to secure better outcomes for women, as well as their children, to obtain sustainable accommodation and make it less likely that they will go on to re-offend.
This role is responsible for planning, preparing and cooking well balanced and nutritious meals within a designated budget to meet the diverse and nutritional needs of residents. You will play a vital role in running workshops with residents and supporting them with preparing and cooking their own meals in a rewarding team environment. This opportunity gives you to make a positive contribution towards residents move back into the community.
- Menu planning and ordering of food within budget and taking account of the diversity and nutritional needs of residents
- Cooking a varied and nutritious diet ensuring effective use of ingredients to reduce waste, providing catering for specialist diets on the grounds of religious beliefs, medical issues and health
- Maintain a high standard of food hygiene and food safety, complying with all relevant legislation and regulations, ensuring that the food preparation area and kitchen are cleaned and sanitised
- Running workshops with residents including food hygiene, food preparation, menu planning and budgeting
- To play an active part in the assessment and management of risk to maintain a safe operating environment for staff and residents
- Maintain accurate food inventories
- Work with residents in the kitchen in a pro social manner overseeing activities and creating an enabling environment
- Proper storage of food items at appropriate temperature and conditions
- Regularly carry out stock checks ensuring that stock is rotated, restocked and that out of date items are removed
- Operation and proper storage of associated equipment in a safe and secure manner
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with food suppliers, seeking best value
- Complying with food safety legislation and ensuring that all daily monitoring records that support food safety systems and procedures are completed
- To work in accordance with Seetec’s Safeguarding policies and procedures and assist the organisation to carry out its duties in a way that protects children and vulnerable adults and promotes their welfare
For full details see full job description:
Skills and Experience
We are looking for someone with proven experience of proper food handling procedures, holding a level 3 food hygiene certificate. You must be able to work as part of a team to plan and prepare meals for large groups of people, experienced in leading and supporting others and working in a challenging and demanding environment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake a relevant group work qualification.
The successful applicant must have:
- Good numeracy and literacy skills with the ability to use basic IT systems for the purpose of managing stock, budgets and emails
- Familiar with all current health, safety and hygiene related regulations for working in a kitchen
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with good listening skills
- Good standards of hygiene
- Organised and methodical
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with residents and colleagues
- Ability to participate and contribute effectively as a team member
- Ability to exercise authority and reinforce boundaries in an appropriate manner
Due to the gender specific nature of this role, applications can only be accepted from female candidates. Gender is considered to be a genuine occupational requirement in accordance with paragraph 1 of Schedule 9 of the Equality Act 2010.
Please note that interviews will be taking place on Friday 20th August 2021 in a face-to-face format.
Salary: Starting salary £20,000 to £22,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
Location: Bristol, BS16 Fishponds/Blackberry Hill area
Hours: .Full Time, 37 hours per week. Days and pattern of working to be discussed, there will be no requirement to work beyond 7pm. Applications for part time and job share are welcomed please provide details in your covering letter.
Closing Date: 16th August 2021
Benefits: 25 days annual leave + bank holidays, Pension, Competitive Salary, Optional Health Insurance, Employee Assistance Programme, Cycle to work scheme, Eye care scheme, Access to wide range of local and national discounts.
Seetec – Interventions Alliance is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share and uphold this commitment in conjunction with the requirements of the Prevent Duty and the positive promotion of modern British values.
You will be required to process a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Seetec – Interventions Alliance support the recruitment of ex- offenders and will not discriminate in anyway. Our full policy statement of “Ex-Offenders” can be found on our website under” About us”
Seetec – Interventions Alliance is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
If you require assistance with your application or an alternative format please contact the recruitment team on 01702 201070.
Expected salary: £20000 – 22000 per year
Location: Fishponds, Bristol – Bristol
Job date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 00:53:50 GMT
Apply for the job