Job title: Clinical Lead – Covid Oximetry at Home
Job description: Medvivo is looking for a GP or ACP to join our Covid Oximetry @home team in a Lead role.
The BaNES, Swindon and Wiltshire (BSW) COVID Oximetry @home (CO@h) and COVID Virtual Ward Service (CVW) was set up in December 2020, in response to evidence which shows patients with COVID can, and frequently do, present with silent hypoxia without feeling breathless or unwell, unaware that their condition is potentially deteriorating.
Our unique blended service model provides an enhanced package of monitoring (symptoms and oxygen saturations) for patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 who are at risk of future deterioration or who require additional clinical support on discharge from hospital.
Appropriate patients are identified each day and invited to join the service. Referrals are also accepted from primary, community and secondary care as well as the local ambulance trust. Patients are provided with an oximeter and asked to submit readings throughout the course of each day.
The service is managed by a multidisciplinary clinical team (nurses, paramedics, GPs, ACPs) who provide clinical support and advice to patients and who are in turn supported by an admin team who assist with identifying patients suitable for onboarding, monitoring the digital feedback, and distributing the pulse oximeter packs.
Where a patient is able, they record and submit their readings digitally. Where this is not possible, the clinical team supports the patient in obtaining their oximetry readings by telephone and/or video. In addition to monitoring for silent hypoxia the clinical team will review any patients who report any symptoms and liaise with their GP, the out of hours service, or secondary care when appropriate. Patients typically remain on the service for a 14-day period, from the onset of their symptoms or the date of a positive COVID test.
The service has received overwhelming and glowing feedback from patients and professionals alike, and talks are ongoing with local clinicians about what can be achieved next… ie what other conditions could be supported remotely by this service.
About the role:
- Acting as senior clinician supporting clinical advisors and admin team with the monitoring of the patients on the CO@h service and reviewing any cases escalated to you by them.
- Taking ownership and responsibility for clinical decisions, including whether to admit to hospital, arrange face to face review, or continue home monitoring.
- Be an active member of the team, supporting with review consultations via telephone and/or video, onboarding of new patients, and discharge of patients from the service.
- Liaising with secondary care clinicians regarding the management of patients discharged by them to the CVW, or regarding and patients on the service that might require their review or advice.
- Working closely with the Project Lead to ensure a safe and effective service.
Location: Remote working from home or Chippenham Head Office
Hours of work: Minimum of 18 per week. These can be worked flexibly across shifts which are:
- 08.30 to 14.30
- 14.30 to 20.30
- Or full 12 hours shift 08.30 to 20.30
7 days per week
Salary: dependent on qualification and experience (ACP £32 to £42 per hour depending on shift / GP Competitive)
Contract: 6 months with potential to become permanent
- GP or ACP
- Good understanding of pathophysiology of covid and silent hypoxia
- Ability to recognise deteriorating patient
- Manage risk appropriately and take ownership of clinical decision-making
- Use system resource appropriately i.e. ambulance, secondary care, OOH
- Ability to lead team remotely, being approachable, supportive and decisive
- Support clinical and non-clinical team with clinical and operational decisions
- Willingness to use and promote video consultation as assessment tool
For more information about the role, please contact the Recruitment Team on 0800 6444 200
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire
Job date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 22:36:03 GMT
Apply for the job now