Job title: Senior Design Engineer – Power & Propulsion
Company: BAE Systems
Job description: Senior Engineer – Power & Propulsion – Electrical
Following successful bids in the international market we are now supporting the Australian and Canadian Navies in the design of the latest frigates. This is a great time and a great opportunity to join our business and help shape the future of surface warships worldwide.
We have an opportunity for an experienced Senior Electrical Engineer to join our growing team working on the Canadian Surface Combatant programme. This role will support the area of Power & Propulsion (P&P)
In this role you will undertake a range of electrical engineering activities in line with all relevant processes and quality requirements, supplying advice and support to designers, operations and other functions and working closely with both T26 and Hunter Class programmes teams
This role will provide you a chance to work on an international programme with the ability to use your existing experience and support the successful delivery of the project
Your main responsibilities as a Senior Engineer – Power & Propulsion – Electrical will involve:
- Participating fully in developing, maintaining and modifying engineering processes and procedures in assigned areas in response to technical developments and operational need
- Carrying out relatively complex technical analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of technical options, and prepare reports with suggested recommendations
- Preparing specifications, develop designs in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards, and carry out design appraisals in assigned areas to ensure all standards are maintained
- Carrying out investigations into operational problems or developments and develop and prepare solutions, individually or as a member of a project team
- Acting as the main point of contact with customers and/or suppliers in assigned areas on engineering matters, to resolve relatively complex problems and issues and to maintain awareness in both parties of priorities and objectives
Your skills and qualifications:
- HND/Degree in related electrical or engineering subject or relevant experience
- Experience working on one or more of the following – Electrical Generation and Quality of Supply, HV
- Distribution and Electrical Safety, HV and High-Power Protection Systems and Earthing Systems, HV and
- High-Power Cabling and cable routing and High Power Electric Drives and Speed Control
- Product Safety experience (SWIFT/HAZOP/HAZID/Zonal Safety Analysis
Experience of working on Maritime/ Naval projects preferred
What we’re looking for in you:
You’ll enjoy problem solving, have excellent communication skills and experience of working closely with internal and external stakeholders, with the ability to work autonomously and having a flexible approach to priorities and willingness to travel if required
Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
At BAE Systems, our advanced defence technology protects people and national security, and keeps critical information and infrastructure secure. We search for new ways to provide our customers with a competitive edge across the air, maritime, land and cyber domains. We employ a skilled workforce of 85,800 people in more than 40 countries, and work closely with local partners to support economic development by transferring knowledge, skills and technology.
Our Naval Ships business
We design and manufacture a range of naval ships and state of the art combat systems and equipment, giving customers the capability to fulfil extensive naval operations. From offshore patrol vessels through to the latest City Class Type 26 frigates that we are building for the UK Royal Navy, and the Australian Hunter Class and Canadian Surface Combatant, we are a business that operates on a truly global platform and can offer a wide range of opportunities where you can play your part in these challenging and exciting projects.
Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK naval engineering business. Our aim is to recruit the very best talent and we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds, with many different skills, experience and perspectives. We offer the flexibility you need to do what’s important to you, whether that’s job sharing, home working, or simply the ability to flex your start and stop times. Where practical, we’ll support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your full potential.
At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists.
For more information on our Diversity & Inclusion work, please click here.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.
Location: Filton, Gloucestershire
Job date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 03:15:00 GMT
Apply for the job now