Job title: Children’s Social Worker – 0-18 Children with Disabilities Team
Company: South Gloucestershire Council
Job description: How you’ll make a difference
Our social workers make a real difference. Every day they work with families to help children and young people who have a significant disability or impairment and have difficulty achieving their ambitions.
- Listening to children and young people with a disability and putting them at the heart of all that we do.
- Working in partnership with families, equipping them with the skills they need to ensure young people live in happy, healthy and safe homes.
- Working within a multi-agency network to ensure that assessment and planning is well coordinated and leads to positive outcomes for the child.
Whether you have just passed your ASYE, or are a Senior Social Worker with 15 years experience, let’s talk as we can appoint to any appropriate grade to suit your skills and experience.
What will you be doing?
- We have a strong culture of giving staff the time, freedom and support to explore new and better ways of doing things, so we’re looking for individuals keen to use their creativity to deliver high quality, child-centred practices, which ensure the best outcomes for children and families.
- The 0-18 Children with Disabilities social care team within the 0-25 service has several functions, one of which is to provide information, advice and support to children, young people, their families and carers to enable children with disabilities to enjoy and achieve social inclusion. The team has a duty to safeguard vulnerable children and young people and to assess need, develop plans and provide services where appropriate. We will then review these plans regularly to ensure that outcomes are being achieved.
- The 0-18 Children with Disabilities social care team undertakes statutory social work in the areas of Child protection, Children in Need and the initial stages of Looked after Children, as well as working within the Public Law outline and Care proceedings on occasion. You will ensure vulnerable children and young people with a significant impairment or disability are identified, protected and supported to achieve positive outcomes through the provision of well planned, integrated and coordinated services.
What we need from you
- You will be a qualified social worker with relevant Social Work England registration to practice and a good understanding of asset and strengths based approaches to social work.
- You will evidence that you are a problem solver, confident about making important decisions, underpinned by a genuine passion to work collaboratively with children, young people and families to meet their goals and aspirations.
- You will be an advocate for innovation, positivity and dedication. You’ll welcome challenge and embrace change.
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- What’s special here is the strength of the team ethos. We are a relatively small local authority, so managers know staff well. They can plan their services to ensure teams have manageable caseloads and have effective supervision so feel supported to make decisions which are right for the children and young people they work with.
- We invest in the careers of our people and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps our people make the greatest long-term difference in their work.
- We have invested in the technology and support to enable staff to work seamlessly from home so we can ensure we are keeping staff safe during Covid-19. For those staff who may need to work in the office we have also ensured that our offices and hubs are Covid secure; and have measures in place such as one way systems, socially distanced work stations and hand sanitizer stations throughout our premises.
We are currently working remotely, but the usual place of work for the team is Badminton Road, Yate, as we provide a service to our customers from the council offices. It is expected that you will return to the usual place of work in line with governmental guidance and local council policy in the future.
A career at South Gloucestershire is an opportunity for you to progress when you are ready.
Our social worker grades, be it at initial recruitment or through internal progression, our grades are:
- Social Worker £29,577 – £32,234
- Advanced Social Worker £33,782 – £36,922
- Senior Social Worker £37,890 – £40,876
Salaries will be paid pro-rated to hours worked
We have a fluid career progression programme and structure, what does this mean for you?
- You no longer need to wait for a vacancy to gain promotion.
- Apply for progression assessment when you are ready, no restrictions on application windows.
- Earn a higher income for your recognised experience.
- Gain promotion without needing to change teams, managers or employer – fast track your potential.
- Senior roles leading to both managerial or practice specialist careers.
- Gain experience in other teams with secondment opportunities encouraged.
This post attracts a gross lump sum £3,000 ‘recruitment payment’ offered to enable Social Workers who have already successfully completed their ASYE to join our permanent workforce. This is payable upon successful completion of your probationary period (after approximately 3-6 months).
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work and learn here.
- We’re building and shaping communities which people are proud of
- We’re working with the most vulnerable in our community to help them achieve what they want in life
- We’re investing in our schools to ensure every child and young person in South Gloucestershire achieves their full potential.
We’ve achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
More information about our wider Children’s Service can be found at
We’re making a difference, be part of it!
Expected salary: £29577 – 32234 per year
Location: Yate, Gloucestershire
Job date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 06:13:25 GMT
Apply for the job now