Job title: Children’s Social Worker – Access Team
Company: South Gloucestershire Council
Job description: How you’ll make a difference
The Access Team sits within the Front Door of our Integrated Children’s Service. Our social workers make a real difference. Every day they work with families to help children and young people who have had a difficult start in life achieve their ambitions. They listen to young people and put them at the heart of all that they do. They work in partnership with families, equipping them with the skills they need to ensure young people live in happy, healthy and safe homes.
We have a strong culture of giving staff the time, freedom and support to explore new and better ways of doing things, so we’re looking for individuals keen to use their creativity to deliver high quality, child-centred practices, which ensure the best outcomes for children and families.
If you are looking for an office based role to practice your social work in a fast paced environment, this will be an ideal team for you.
Whether you have just passed your ASYE, or are a Senior Social Worker with 15 years experience, let’s talk as we can appoint to any appropriate grade to suit your skills and experience.
What will you be doing?
- You will be office based and will be triaging referrals coming into the team regarding children & young people with welfare concerns.
- In this non-caseholding role, you will also be applying threshold for Universal Service, Early Help and Social Care in a rapid and timely manner.
- You will be dealing with professionals and parents daily by telephone.
What we need from you
- You will be a qualified social worker with relevant registration to practice and a good understanding of asset and strengths based approaches to social work
- You’ll be a problem solver, confident about making important decisions, underpinned by a genuine passion to work collaboratively with children, young people and families to meet their goals and aspirations
- You’ll welcome challenge and embrace change and be innovative, positive and dedicated.
- You will be well versed in dealing with professionals and parents daily by telephone.
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
What’s special here is the strength of the team ethos. We are a relatively small local authority, so managers know staff well. They can plan their services to ensure teams have manageable caseloads and have effective supervision so feel supported to make decisions which are right for the children and young people they work with.
We invest in the careers of our people and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps our people make the greatest long-term difference in their work.
A career at South Gloucestershire is an opportunity for you to progress when you are ready.
Our social worker grades, be it at initial recruitment or through internal progression, our grades are:
- Social Worker £29,577 – £32,234
- Advanced Social Worker £33,782 – £36,922
- Senior Social Worker £37,890 – £40,876
This post attracts a gross lump sum £3,000 ‘recruitment payment’ offered to enable Social Workers who have already successfully completed their ASYE to join our permanent workforce at South Gloucestershire Council. This is payable upon successful completion of your probationary period (after approximately 3-6 months).
We have invested in the technology and support to enable staff to work seamlessly from home so we can ensure we are keeping staff safe during Covid-19. For those staff who may need to work in the office we have also ensured that our offices and hubs are Covid secure; and have measures in place such as one way systems, socially distanced work stations and hand sanitizer stations throughout our premises.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Ensuring all our staff are given right skills, knowledge and support to recognise and respond effectively to potential abuse or neglect.
We recognise that our diverse team of skilled and dedicated people make us a great place to work. We welcome applications from everyone and ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and developed on the basis of their merits and abilities.
We are currently working remotely, but the usual place of work for the team is Badminton Road, Yate, as we provide a service to our customers from the council offices. It is expected that you will return to the usual place of work in line with governmental guidance and local council policy in the future.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work and learn here.
- We’re building and shaping communities which people are proud of.
- We’re working with the most vulnerable in our community to help them achieve what they want in life
- We’re investing in our schools to ensure every child and young person in South Gloucestershire achieves their full potential.
We’ve achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
More information about our wider Children’s Service can be found at
Whilst this vacancy is advertised as a Social Worker grade, we will accept and encourage applications from those of all experience levels for consideration for one of our other grades. Alternatively, we recommend you apply to our current talent pool for a conversation about relevant opportunities.
We’re making a difference, be part of it!
Expected salary: £29577 – 32234 per year
Location: Yate, Gloucestershire
Job date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 06:32:57 GMT
Apply for the job now