Job title: Highways Maintenance Operative
Company: South Gloucestershire Council
Job description: How you’ll make a difference
Working in a varied role you will be based at our operating depot in Yate and effectively deliver good quality highways related maintenance and construction works to keep our roads safe and meet the needs of our South Gloucestershire region.
What will you be doing:
- Working in a team you will report to the General Foreman and Civil Engineering Supervisor, Construction Foreman and Lead Village Maintenance Operative for the delivery of general maintenance works. You will undertake general digging, labouring, and loading work including general snow clearance work as required.
- In the role you will operate small mechanical plant used in the maintenance of highways and it is expected that you ensure safe methods of work are employed at all times around operation of plant and equipment. Plant and machinery will be use such as strimmers, chainsaws and steel saws on a daily basis
- You must exercise good plant husbandry and ensure that vehicle, plant and equipment checks are carried out and that all vehicle, plant and equipment are kept in a clean condition and that you report defects to equipment and machinery without delay. You will also ensure all materials and plant are requisitioned correctly through the central stores system.
- In the role there are changing priorities, so you will be ready to react to needs on a daily basis and arrive ready for work on time to receive instructions for the days planned works and ensure that a good standard of workmanship is achieved, performance levels are met and that appropriate control procedures are met.
- You may be required to be available to be on-call at evenings and at weekends, on a rota basis, as mutually agreed with the StreetCare Operations Manager.
What we need from you
- It is essential that you hold a valid full driving licence and an HGV 111 licence would be an advantage.
- It is preferable that you have an Accreditation in New Roads and Street Works.
- You must have previous experience and training in the use of small plant such as abrasive wheel and chainsaws, strimmers. Experience in the use of weed killer applications would also be desirable.
- You will be both reliable and flexible in your approach to work able to respond positively to changes in work priorities and work well in a team.
- It is essential that to you are prepared and able to work outdoors in all environments and weather conditions including severe winter weather as well as exposure to heat and noise.
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- We know our team work best when they have balance in their lives, and we offer genuine flexibility to help them achieve that work/life balance.
- We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps make the greatest long-term difference in work.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work, and learn here.
- We’re building and shaping communities which people are proud of
- We’re working with the most vulnerable in our community to help them achieve what they want in life
- We’ve achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We’re making a difference, be part of it!
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Gary Meddick on 01454863696.
This post is 39 hours per week, therefore the approx annual salary is £20,356 per annum.
Expected salary: £20356 per year
Location: Yate, Gloucestershire
Job date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 05:16:59 GMT
Apply for the job now