Job title: Senior Design Engineer – Shipboard Aviation Facilities
Company: BAE Systems
Job description: Senior Design Engineer – Shipboard Aviation Facilities
Would you like to work for an organisation who designs and manufacture a range of naval ships and state of the art combat systems and equipment, giving customers the capability to fulfil extensive naval operations? We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Design Engineer – Shipboard Aviation Facilities at our sites in Scotstoun, Broad Oak or Filton.
As a Senior Design Engineer – Shipboard Aviation Facilities, you will be leading in the engineering effort to integrate the helicopter system into the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC). You will manage sub-ordinates and ensure that they are contributing towards the CSC programme design aims and milestones. You will be interacting with the Canadian supply chain in technical contract discussions and leading on customer briefings on progress and design.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to develop the aviation solution for a vessel from its early stages through to design maturity and in due course be involved in certification, sea trials and customer acceptance.
Your main responsibilities as a Senior Design Engineer – Shipboard Aviation Facilities will involve:
- Producing layout drawings for Aviation compartments for review by stakeholders and to allow Stage 2 to correctly model these spaces
- Updating Windchill with mature parts, systems, occurrences and compartment data to ensure it correctly presents the baseline design
- Writing and updating technical equipment specifications for review and co-ordinate with suppliers to ensure delivery to the agreed specification
- Co-ordinating with systems engineers and detail designers on the integration of Aviation systems
- Supporting HAZIDs, Safety Reviews, Design Reviews and Zonal Reviews
- Acting as the Subject Matter Expert within the Aviation Integrated Platform Team (AV-IPT) and Aviation Working Groups, discussing progress against the plan and changes/updates to the design
- Maturing Aviation design documentation in line with the programme’s contractual obligations
Your skills and qualifications as a Senior Design Engineer – Shipboard Aviation Facilities:
- Experience of design of aviation or similar facilities on a vessel, including operational, maintenance and stowage spaces
- Knowledge and experience of taking customer requirements and developing a compliant engineering solution
- Experience of writing technical specifications for equipment and developing compliant equipment solutions with vendors
- Knowledge of Aviation, Engineering and integration of aviation facilities in to a ship
- Knowledge and experience of Naval and/or commercial ship Aviation systems
- Experience with Ship aviation design
- Experience with CAD software like AutoCAD or FORAN
- Chartered engineer or working towards
What we’re looking for in you:
You will have the ability to communicate verbally and in writing to management and peers. You will display flexibility through response to radical changes.
Location: Scotstoun, Broad Oak or Filton
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
At BAE Systems, our advanced defence technology protects people and national security, and keeps critical information and infrastructure secure. We search for new ways to provide our customers with a competitive edge across the air, maritime, land and cyber domains. We employ a skilled workforce of 85,800 people in more than 40 countries, and work closely with local partners to support economic development by transferring knowledge, skills and technology.
Our Naval Ships business
We design and manufacture a range of naval ships and state of the art combat systems and equipment, giving customers the capability to fulfil extensive naval operations. From offshore patrol vessels through to the latest City Class Type 26 frigates that we are building for the UK Royal Navy, and the Australian Hunter Class and Canadian Surface Combatant, we are a business that operates on a truly global platform and can offer a wide range of opportunities where you can play your part in these challenging and exciting projects.
Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK naval engineering business. Our aim is to recruit the very best talent and we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds, with many different skills, experience and perspectives. We offer the flexibility you need to do what’s important to you, whether that’s job sharing, home working, or simply the ability to flex your start and stop times. Where practical, we’ll support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your full potential.
At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists.
For more information on our Diversity & Inclusion work, please click .
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.
Location: Filton, Gloucestershire
Job date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 05:14:55 GMT
Apply for the job now