Job title: Senior Structural Design Engineer
Company: BAE Systems
Job description: Senior Structural Design Engineer
Would you like to play a key role in supporting the ship build for the Royal Australian Navy? We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Structural Design Engineer at our sites in Glasgow, Filton or Portsmouth.
As a Senior Structural Design Engineer, you will be working on the structural design of the Australian Navy’s next warship based upon the UK Global Ship design and modifying it to suit Australian requirements, working from local design to global strength and everything in-between.
This role will provide you with the opportunity of working on an international project for the new design and ship build for the Royal Australian Navy with the chance of overseas travel.
Your main responsibilities as a Senior Structural Design Engineer will involve:
- Producing structural design solutions, supported by calculations, for either ship scantling issues or seat designs as required
- Liaising with the Detail Design community and equipment owners to unblock issues preventing the conclusion of structural design activities
- Preparing Design Sketches of structural solutions as required
- Completing structural solutions, calculations, design sketches and drawings supporting design and assessment tasks
- Writing design analysis, assessment studies, technical reports and specifications
- Peer reviewing of other team members calculations where required
Your skills and qualifications:
- Background in Ship Structural Design and the sound judgement needed to be able to make correct trade-off decisions
- Working experience in Engineering or Defence (or related industry)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Structural design theory
- Able to perform analysis using recognised analytical tools and to make sound judgements based on experience
- Experienced user of PTC MathCAD
- Degree qualified, likely to be in a technology, engineering or science related discipline
- Knowledge of Classification Society (e.g. Lloyd’s Register) requirements with respect to the design of ship structures
- Experienced in use of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software
- Working towards the requirements for registration as Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council
- Understanding of LCM
What we’re looking for in you:
You will have excellent communication skills both verbally and written allowing you to liaise with management, peers & other stakeholders, you are a real team player who works with a degree of independence at home and uses initiative within your own sphere of expertise. You have a flexible attitude to working hours due to nature of project time zones across two hemispheres.
Location: Glasgow, Filton or Portsmouth
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
“At BAE Systems we are committed to supporting work life balance for all our employees and embrace a range of modern working practices, which aim to enhance flexibility for individuals whilst also enabling business performance. Flexibility provisions vary by role, but include; hybrid working arrangements, flexible working patterns and shift working.”
At BAE Systems, our advanced defence technology protects people and national security, and keeps critical information and infrastructure secure. We search for new ways to provide our customers with a competitive edge across the air, maritime, land and cyber domains. We employ a skilled workforce of 85,800 people in more than 40 countries, and work closely with local partners to support economic development by transferring knowledge, skills and technology.
Our Naval Ships business
We design and manufacture a range of naval ships and state of the art combat systems and equipment, giving customers the capability to fulfil extensive naval operations. From offshore patrol vessels through to the latest City Class Type 26 frigates that we are building for the UK Royal Navy, and the Australian Hunter Class and Canadian Surface Combatant, we are a business that operates on a truly global platform and can offer a wide range of opportunities where you can play your part in these challenging and exciting projects.
Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK naval engineering business. Our aim is to recruit the very best talent and we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds, with many different skills, experience and perspectives. We offer the flexibility you need to do what’s important to you, whether that’s job sharing, home working, or simply the ability to flex your start and stop times. Where practical, we’ll support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your full potential.
At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists.
For more information on our Diversity & Inclusion work, please click .
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.
Location: Portsmouth – Filton, Gloucestershire
Job date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 23:46:32 GMT
Apply for the job now